This project is read-only.

Why don't I want to use VS Tags more?

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:39 AM

I've been trying to figure out why this isn't one of my main addins . . . something I use daily.  It seems like such a great addin, I work with solutions with hundreds of files spread across 10 or so projects, yet I only deal with 6 to 10 files like 90% of the time.  This addin should be GOLD . . . yet I rarely reach for it or use it . . . why?

I was pondering this and decide it is because of a lack of integration with Solution Explorer and Solution Navigator.  This addin offers an important view into my Solution, but it isn't the only view to my solution.  Solution Navigator (my favorite) and Solution Explorer are important too . . . IMHO they need to be consider here.

Some thoughts along those lines:

1. What if VS Tags could have right click menus like SN and SE . . . or if not all of it other there options, at least part of them . . . Open folder here, some source control systems add items to their menus, Power and Productivity tools as well . . . are those integration only possible because those addins are from Microsoft, or could they be done by VS Tags as well . . . I don't know the answer to those questions, but if it is possible, they would be great additions.

2. Even if #1 is not possible . . . there are other options.  Click to edit makes sense.  What about ctl-click to find in SN and/or SE located at exactly the file I clicked . . . of course then the question become "which one" which then brings up configuration . . . though there is both ctl-click and alt-click I suppose.

3. How about buttons at the top of the addin for SN and SE also . . . when while looking at the VS Tags view, it is easy to pop back over to the whole solution view.

4. Also, since you are going custom, how about offering me ways to open the files.  Offer a second level to the tree control which invokes a regular expression search as the file is open.  That would allow me to open to a specific routine or section of code that I deal with often.

Just some thoughts . . . I think there is a dynomite basic concept here . . . I think it just needs to be taken to the next level to become a often used addin.

Frank

P.S. I am not against helping so long at it remains "fun" and doesn't take away from my "regular job".  I am NOT a extensions programmer . . . I know virtually nothing about it . . . but if I learn enough to get some of these ideas going, would you accept a submission for consideration?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I agree with fmerrow. The lack of integration with the solution explorer and solution navigator is a big deal. I think tags should work like they work in gmail. You pick a color for your tag, and tagged files keep marked on solution explorer. I think this addin should be a gold one too. Lets put it there making it better!

I can help with the development too, but like Frank I am not a extensions programmer, and I know nothing about it (but I can learn).